Welcome to our family blog! Sometimes in our chaotic lives we just don't get to talk with and see our friends and family as often as we would like! I hope this blog helps to keep you updated about what's going on in our family!

Friday, July 25, 2008

The Name Game ...

So I'm almost 26 weeks along in this pregnancy and we are still calling this one "Little Guy" or "Baby Boy", sometimes "BB" for short because we have chosen a name yet. Not that we haven't thought about it or anything ... it just seems a little harder to choose a name this time around. It was much easier with Chloe. We actually had first names selected when we went for her 20 week ultrasound. That seems to be the trend with most people I have talked to ... the first child's name was easy and it was much tougher to choose a name with subsequent children. If Joe and I decide to have another one after this little guy, we might not come up with name until I'm in the hospital about to deliver! LOL :-) Okay, back to naming Baby Boy ... at least a year ago, before I became pregnant with this one and even before I was pregnant with our little Angel in Heaven I think, we started talking about names for our next child. Joe and I decided we did not want either of the names we had chosen for a boy the last time around ... they just didn't appeal as much to us anymore ... so it was back to the books to think about new names. I had no problem narrowing down girl names to Emma, Anna, or Makayla, leaning most towards Makayla. But we have had a much tougher time with boys names. I think we now have it narrowed down to six first names and we haven't even discussed middle names yet! Of course, with the way my mind is these days, we could choose something completely different! So now the list is narrowed down to Andrew, Caleb, Gavin, Jack, James, and Joshua, although I also just started liking Ethan within the past couple of days. I think I am leaning the most towards Andrew, Caleb, and James at the moment. First Andrew ... I looked up the meaning of Andrew today and saw that it means "manly". It is important to me that our son's name sound like a guy's name, so I think Andrew definitely fits the bill. Of course we then have to decide what to call him, because I have yet to meet an Andrew over the age of 5 who actually goes by Andrew. Do we go with the old standby Andy or do we go with the more popular Drew trend? Onto Caleb ... I really like the sound of Caleb. It starts off very strong but ends with a softer tone, much like Chloe. It's an old Biblical name, but it sounds fresh and modern. And we don't have to worry about coming up with a nickname for it. And then there is good old James ... my grandfather was named James so it does have a family tie to it. I can definitely picture James growing up into a happy, successful man. The issue I have with James is that I would want him to be called James, at least until he is old enough to decide what to be called (maybe like 30?? :-) I don't want people to call him Jim, or Jimmy, or Jim Boy or whatever ... you friends who have sons named James, has it been tough to get people to call them James? So, there you have it ... still trying to give this little guy a name. I certainly hope we have chosen one before I go into labor! What are your thoughts? Check out the survey and let me know what you think ...

3 comments:

Karen said...

Well, I may be partial, but I really do love the name James. I, too, hated Jim, Jimmy, etc. It hasn't been hard to have people call him James. You'd just have to be adamant about his name being JAMES and nothing else! Matt's dad would sometimes jokingly call him Jimmy, but when he found out it really bothered me, he stopped. I really like Caleb, too, but Matt says it's too popular right now so I know if we have another boy that won't be his name. =o) Anyway, just wanted to encourage you that you really CAN make people stick to James if you decide to name him that. =o) So far so good for us!

Stephany said...

That's so funny that you said that! Tim and I (Tim MORE than me) feel that James should be called 'James' unless HE changes it to 'Jim' or 'Jimmy'. So, teasingly, I tell people, "If you want to get Tim all worked up, call James 'Jimmy'!" It works every time! I grew up with a Jimmy, who was Jimmy. Now, even in his adulthood, I call him Jimmy, even though he nows goes by 'Jim'. . .oops. Oh, well. He knows I know him as Jimmy. But, 'Jim-boy'. . .NEVER!!!! Yuck! Not my cup of tea!
I LOVE the name Andrew too. I have a cousin named Andrew, so we probably won't ever use it, but it's definitely one of my favorites!
Good luck! :-)

Anonymous said...

I like James of course and I have no problem sticking to it. I am doing a lot of family genealogy research so I like family names.
I like Joshua also and even "Josh".
Keep us posted. We are so happy for you both and BB.